This Endowed Chair would allow WSU and the industry to attract a world-class scientist to catalyze the existing WSU and USDA expertise in pulse crops and provide leadership for multi disciplinary research teams to discover and deploy traits that add value to the pulse industry in the PNW and globally. Worldwide interest in pulses as integral components of sustainable production systems designed to provide a healthy and secure food supply is evidenced by the United Nations declaration of 2016 as the “Year of the Pulses”, as well as the United States Federal Pulse Health Initiative. Washington State University intends to position itself as a world leader in pulse crop improvement through expanded research capacity and emphasis in this area.
Uses and Purposes
Distributions from this Fund shall be used to support the Endowed Chair Pulse Crops to meet the following objectives:
- Focus on issues of critical importance to the industry in the areas of research and extension.
- Attract a faculty member with recognized expertise to lead the pulse research at WSU.
- Ensure that cutting-edge knowledge within pulse research focus is delivered widely.
- Train undergraduate and graduate students and research associates as appropriate.
- Complement existing extension and research progran1s within the relevant programs and departments.